November 7, 2005

Be More Awesome

Though I had to work for the 9th straight weekend (no exaggeration), said weekend turned out to be pretty decent. Friday night was, of course, brutal. It seems that my class that is titled Communication Strategies for Healthcare Professionals should really be titled People Complaining About Doctors. In other words, not the ideal way to spend four hours on a Friday night. Saturday, after work, I attended what was easily the most important football game in the last 25 years for Plano. Against the Wilmington Yellowhammers1, the Reapers came out victorious thanks to two Nick Nasti touchdowns, but more importantly, the best defense I have ever seen a high school football team play. I am completely serious when I say that playing that way on defense could win Plano a state title, but we shall see. Sunday, a slow day at work, was made fantastic because I got to see my boo2 for the first time since Wednesday. We attended Saw 2 then enjoyed soup, jokes, and a small kid falling out of a chair at Panera Bread. Saw 2 was better in every aspect than the first installment. The situations, acting, gore, and production far surpassed both my expectations and the memories of the first part. And the Bears won. All in all, a good weekend.

Here are some stories:

So yes, you should read those things. I have been impressed with Pitchfork's features lately which is nice because for a while they wrote about a lot of stuff I could care less about. More importantly, the New Sincerity movement needs to really take off. I've been lamenting my dissatisfaction with the proliferation of irony for some time, and if this gets people to finally start appreciating things that are actually awesome then that is ... awesome.

  1. Yellowhammers is a derogatory term that refers to the rampant inbreeding that took place in Wilmington in the 1950s and likely continues to this day.
  2. Complete with terrific new haircut!