A few random thoughts while watching music videos for the first time in months:
- Kanye West is amazing. 'Golddigger' is a terrific song and Late Registration is the best sounding rap album I've ever heard. He might not be a great rapper (maybe a bit above average in my book, but witty), but he sure has an ear for the music side of things.
- Lady Sovereign, a British grime rapper, is pretty terrific. I don't know what the odds of seeing two of her videos in the span of one day is, but I would imagine that they're pretty low. Either way, she's worthy of a midlevel celebrity crush, but I did have to make sure she was over 18 before I typed that (she is). She looks a little bit like Plano High School alum Kerin Meyer is she were way shorter and more gangsta. All you need to know about her is that she describes herself as a "white midget." Cool.
- David Banner's video for 'Play' is hilarious. Sure the song rips off both 'Drop It Like It's Hot' and'Wait (The Wisper Song)' but the video is really awesome. I'd say it rips off 'Call on Me' and 'Satisfaction' but I highly doubt David Banner is familiar with the video output of either Eric Prydz or Benny Benassi. In fact, I'm surprised that I'm familiar with their respective celluloid careers, but that's what'll happen when you're friends with a beats guy like Pat Murphy.
- That MTV commercial where the kid accidentally swallows gum then takes a huge dump seven years later is hilarious. Here's why: First, the kid is supposed to be seven years older when he's on the pot, but he mysteriously ages from 8 years of age to about 19. How hard could it have been to ask the actors their ages to make this work. And secondly, the last punchline "Don't Believe Everything You Hear" followed by a screen that says "MTV- We Don't Play Music" was perfect. Nevermind that I saw this during 'Trailer Fabulous.'
- Diddy (no P.) directing an orchestra to Notorious B.I.G. songs during the VMAs was high comedy. Leave it to Diddy to take even orchestra conducting to new heights of over-the-topness.
- Kelly Clarkson's VMA performance was the equivalent of when Justin Timberlake made the 'Cry Me a River" video (e.g.-a pop artist growing up). Before she was a cute girl who could sing. Now, she's a sexy girl who can sing. She is worthy of a lower-high level celebrity crush, though Adam would rank her higher.
- I saw a Bow Wow (no Lil') video. He looks like he could definitely be gay.
- Every time I see a My Chemical Romance performance or video I like them a little bit more, but for some reason I can't listen to Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge all the way though. Furthermore, their lead singer looks like the love child of Jack White and Billie Joe Armstrong.