- Not only was this a concert festival, but unknowingly, the formation of a new nation -- the IN-TO NATION. Had I known that I was seceding from the United States, I may have thought longer about going.
- When it comes to a discussion about bands that define my generation, the list starts and stops with Head of Femur.
- Though the first three stars on the Chicago flag represent important historical events from the city's past, the fourth (surprisingly) represents master of squelches Four Tet.
- Death from Above 1979 is awesome live, but they would be even better in a small club with working microphones and a good PA.
- If you're looking for backup dancers a good place to look is the streets of Chicago for 15 or so young black children.
- Andrew Bird is terrific napping music.
- A blanket is a must.
- A full back tattoo of the vertebral column could be handy in the event that you need an emergency epidural.
- I'm officially not a big fan of the effeminate male in woman's jeans look. Unless, of course, you are in a terrific rock band. Only then is it acceptable.
- Hippies love sleeping on blankets and/or playing hacky sack and/or frisbee.
- "Hava Nagila" is a welcome violin solo in my book.
- Crowd clapalongs are also welcome in said book.
- If you won't sit down when the lead singer of the Decemberists kindly asks you to, you're kind of a jerk.
- Color changing lightbulbs - cool. Clear backpack - not cool.
- New bands to download: Broken Social Scene, Andrew Bird, the Hold Steady, the Wrens, Les Savy Fav
- There is exactly one person who I would have wanted to go to this festival with. Thankfully, I was her squire.
July 18, 2005
by Trey at 10:00 PM