July 28, 2005

Lollapalooza starring Trey Kerby (Day 2)

So I'm a liar. I didn't post when I said I was going to. Deal with it.

ANYWAY, Day 2 of Lollapalooza threatened to be a day that resulted in the deaths of many. Temperatures were predicted to hit triple digits. Since this was the case, me and my uncle decided to not go to the festival until 5:00ish, which is just before the Arcade Fire were scheduled to take the stage. I felt sorry for Louis XIV because I hear that they perform in leather jackets regardless of the weather. This means that they are obviously insane. And a few days after the show I heard that Tegan and Sara had to end their set early due to heat stroke. All in all, not the best weather for a 10 hour outdoor festival.
So we finally arrived at Grant Park at about 5:10 after drinking some authentic Nantucket Nectar Lemonade, which was terrific. Literally within minutes, Scott's and my legs were dripping actual drops of sweat. Nonetheless, we dutifully marched our way towards the front of the crowd to witness the supposed live spectacle that is the Arcade Fire.
It is almost impossible to describe what took place for the next 1 hour, but here are some highlights: people hitting each other in the head with drumsticks while wearing motorcycle helmets, Win Butler calling the French horn a "freedom horn," marching band drums, broken tambourines and microphone stands being thrown in to the crowd, a wrestling match between two band members, Napolean Dynamite's doppleganger, dancing, psuedo-popping and locking, cymbals being removed from stands and carried around while being used, two violinists, and of course, a xylophone. The Arcade Fire are easily the best live band that I have ever seen. They have such an amazing energy that would be even better in an indoors setting. Ultragrrrl says they "make God appear," and that's about right. See them any chance you get.
After this most amazing show, we walked by Spoon, but didn't stay instead opting to get drinks to avoid likely death. Then after our refreshments we went to see the Killers.
The Killers sounded great, but their showmanship, however, leaves a lot to be desired. This is especially surprising since Brandon Flowers proclaims that he is a huge David Bowie fan. The only similarities I see between the two is a knack for natty dressing and a love for rhinestones. Irregardless of the show, the music sounded great. But obviously they couldn't hold a candle to the Arcade Fire.
Lastly, was Death Cab for Cutie, a band that I had seen last summer. Aside from the 3 songs of theirs that I like, the show did nothing for me. In fact, the best part for me was when I accidentally sprayed a kid with water in the back of his leg. I then proceeded to look around and pretend to rock in order to avoid his wrath. Though I could obviously defeat him in a fist-fight because I'm really big and ferocious.
All in all, Lollapalooza was well worth the money and I guarantee that I will see both the Pixies and Arcade Fire in concert again soon. Most likely with someone who will appreciate the glory of glamourous indie rock-n-roll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear, you have stooped lower than I ever thought you would! PRETENDING TO ROCK OUT TO death cab for cutie OF ALL BANDS to escape a mere dirty look from a feeble and [I imagine] shirtless emo-kid! -=shakes head=- I'd rather see you seize up on the floor. Those last words call for Joy Division at maximum volume.

-=insert DFA power makeout here=-